Lab and Placement Exams
About the Modern Language Lab
The Modem Language (ML) Lab, located in Room B-206, oversees the weekly lab hour that is part of all elementary, intermediate, and heritage language classes. The ML Lab also provides language tutoring and refresher sessions. In addition, the ML Lab administers the modern language placement exam to students who are already familiar with languages taught at LaGuardia Comunity College.
- Tutoring: Individual and small-group tutoring is available in-person and online. Students enrolled in a language class can get help with homework, lab assignments, grammar, vocabulary, culture, presentations and quiz review. See below for the weekly tutoring schedule and instructions how to make an appointment with the tutor.
- Placement exams: Students proficient in a language other than English can earn three exemption credits by passing an intermediate-, advanced-, or heritage-level modern language class. The placement exam is given in room B-206, make sure to sign in before taking the placement exam. The exam will place you in an appropriate level.
Individual/Group Tutoring in Spring 2023 Session I
- Tutoring sessions are conducted either online or in-person in Spring 2023 Session I. For online tutoring, tutors use different tutoring platforms, but many use Zoom for tutoring. Students will receive a meeting link when they make a tutoring appointment.
- See the tutoring schedule for Spring 2023 Session I: Spring 2023 Tutoring Schedule
- Tutoring is optional and does not contribute to the student’s final grade (unless the instructor gives extra bonus points for attending tutoring).
- You will need to make an appointment for tutoring through MyLaGuardia. See these tutorial slides for more information. Have your professor’s name and course code handy to input on the appointment form.
- (If you made an appointment for online tutoring) After confirming your appointment, check your student email for a confirmation and a Zoom link to the tutoring meeting.
- ACE students should contact the tutor directly to make an appointment.
- For assistance, please contact one of the modern language lab staff below.
The Lab Hour
- Most lab sessions for in-person classes are conducted in-person as well. Lab sessions for fully online courses will be online. The lab constitutes 10% of the student’s final grade.
- The online lab sessions are delivered either synchronously (in a group at the given day and time) or asynchronously (individually at any time). Each language uses different lab platforms, but many use the textbook companion website and/or Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Coordinator of the Modern Languages Lab (ML Lab Coordinator)
Education and Language Acquisition Department
LaGuardia Community College